A publication of the Cedar Mill Business Association
|Volume 3, Issue 12||
History in the News
Cedar Mill Time Line
This time line was compiled for the John Quincy Adams Young House Ad Hoc Committee, to help the members understand the context of the house.
Before 1782 The A-tfa’-lati band of the Kalapuyan indians inhabit the area; the A-tfa’-lati population estimated at several thousand.
1790 Fur traders and explorers arrive by sea.
1805 Fort Clatsop is established by Lewis and Clark.
1826 Fort Vancouver is established by John McLaughlin.
1830-1833 Small pox and malaria rage among the Indians.
1841 White settlers begin to establish farms in the Tualatin Valley.
1842 A-tfa’-lati population estimated at 600.
1843 The Plains-Linnton Road (Germantown Road approx.) built. The Great Migration begins in earnest. Joe Meek helps to establish a provisional government for the Oregon Country.
1845 Canyon Road is known to connect the Tualatin Valley to Portland.
1846 Dividing Line between Canada and the US is established (49th parallel).
1847 Sam Walters, the first known white settler in Cedar Mill, arrives and sets up a squatter’s claim.
1848 The tribal census of the A-tfa’-lati population listed as “60 souls, 30 warriors.” JQA Young arrives in the Tualatin Valley. The Oregon Territory is established. Unoccupied land in Cedar Mill comprised 4,300 acres, about 7 square miles.
1850 The Oregon Donation Land Act is established, each Donation Land Claim (DLC) is 320 acres per person.
1850-1855 16 DLC’s are settled in the Cedar Mill area.
1855 The Oregon Donation Land Act (DLC) is reduced to 160 acres per person. The first school is established (subscription school). Classes held in private cabins. The cedar mill is established by Justus Jones. Springville Road is mapped as the “Road from the Plains to Baker’s.”
1858 The Methodists were active in the area. Union Cemetery established on present-day NW 143rd.
1860 Two more DLC’s established. Cedar Mill population probably exceeded 65.
1863 Union School probably established.
1866 Sam Walters marries 13 year old Naomi Oliver.
1867 Wesley Chapel (Methodist) was built along Cornell Road. Barnes Road is surveyed. Cornell Road is connected to Portland.
1869 JQA Young and Everson buy the cedar mill. JQA Young builds his home.
1874 General post office named Cedar Mill by JQA Young.
1882 The Cedar Mill General Store is established.
1884 Cedar Mill School opens with an enrollment of 27 pupils.
1888 The Amateur Musical and Literary Society of Cedar Mill is founded.
1896 Saltzman Road is completed to Cornell.
1898 The Findleys arrive in the area.
1903 Leedy Grange is organized with 29 members.
1903 Early telephone service becomes available.
1904 The Cedar Mill Post Office is closed.
1913 Leedy Grange purchases the Modern Woodmen hall on Saltzman Road.
1919 The Cedar Mill Garage is founded.
1919 Thompson Road is extended. World War I ends.
1921 The Chobans arrive and begin truck farming.
1923 Lost Park is a popular local recreation ground.
1926 Lost Park is open to the public. Naomi Walters dies in Portland.
1938 Wolf Creek Highway Water District is established.
1940 The Community Club of Cedar Mill is organized.
1941 First garbage service is available.
1942 Cedar Mill Fire Patrol is organized.1945 World War II ends.
Cedar Mill News Subject Index
The Cedar Mill News